A lot of AMD GPUs users are saying it is difficult to install drivers and it is problematic operation. I understand them, installer is not perfect, there is a lot of instructions to do so, most of them are complicated and describing a lot of unnecessary things to do. I will try to describe it as simple as it is possible.
I assume nowadays most of smart users are using 64-bit software, same on Windows and Linux.
So… how to install AMD Catalyst driver? Here we go:
1. Before we start it is needed to install updates. Install all available updates for your Ubuntu and reboot computer (if needed).
2. After reboot open terminal and paste (ctrl+shift+v) this line:
sudo apt-get install build-essential cdbs dh-make dkms execstack dh-modaliases linux-headers-generic lib32gcc1
hit enter and follow instructions, if any will show up.
3. Next step is to download driver. Save file in /home folder. This is very important to keep downloaded file in this folder, it will make many things much easier. If downloaded file is .zip unpack it, if downloaded file is .run go to another step.
4. Default file name is pretty long and complicated, make it simpler and rename it to, for example catalyst.run.
5. Here comes first part of installation: open terminal, paste line:
sudo sh ./catalyst.run –buildpkg Ubuntu/quantal
In the end of line you can see phrase “Ubuntu/quantal”. Ubuntu stands for name of Linux distribution, quantal stands for version of Ubuntu. quantal is Ubuntu 12.10, precise – 12.04, oneiric – 11.10, raring – 13.04.
This step creates installable .deb packages of driver and saves them in your /home directory. This process can take even few minutes.
6. Great! Packages are created and now you have to install them. There are two ways to do so. With one command line or with manual installing packages. Both are simple.
Command line? Paste this line into terminal:
sudo dpkg -i fglrx*.deb
Manual? Go to /home folder and open .deb packages and install them, one after another.
7. Reboot computer and check if everything runs fine.
All this I can short into one sentence: download driver, if needed unpack, create packages for ubuntu and install them, reboot. Simple as that.
Now your drivers are installed! It is not so difficult, isn’t it? 😉 I hope this little instruction will help to many of you.
If you installed beta driver you may have visible on desktop watermark with message “AMD Testing use only”.
Install steam and download some nice games 😉 Or just use Ubuntu Software Center to try some games.
Tested on Ubuntu 12.10 amd64 and Radeon HD6850 with AMD Catalyst 13.2 Beta 3 for linux.